Thursday, September 4, 2014

The Exhaustion of Never

These are some of the things I will never do with my mom again:
Wake up on a Saturday morning knowing she's there to have breakfast with Stanley and take him to the park.
Marvel at her Goodwill/garage sale/consignment sale finds.
Ask her about my childhood.
Call her for the answer to some question about my childhood or parenting.
Worry about her, how she's feeling, whether she's telling me everything or trying not to worry me.
Pick out some books from my shelves to recommend to her.
Call her about my day, or to wish her good morning, or set up a video call with the kids. 
Giver her a birthday present or receive the perfect one from her.
Take Stanley to a coffee shop.

I'm exhausted thinking about all the things I'll never do again with her. Sometimes, looking forward towards a future without her, I don't know if I can do this. I'll never struggle through a week towards the joy of her arrival on a Friday night with the promise of a weekend of fun. I just want to lay my head down and wake up when it's not so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment